Monday 26 October 2015

Hawk by Ronie Kendig (Review by Ashley Nikole)

Hawk is slotted as book 2 in the 'Quiet Professionals' series by Ronie Kendig, set in (current day) war-torn Afghanistan with a group of Special Forces soldiers dealing with a hacker accessing and wreaking-havoc on their military computer database. So in other words, missions get corrupted, they receive phoney orders from upstream and trust is not something easily come by.

Check out my review for book 1, Raptor 6 here & review for Falcon (book 3), here.

With this series, each book builds on the last, and they are not (in my opinion) books that should be read out of order, or with a hope that the evil forces will be defeated until the end of book 3. This series is something you have to be dedicated to over the long-haul, if you want to see things resolved- so stay committed!

Comparatively speaking, I feel Hawk is lighter than Raptor 6. Yes, there is war violence, people die and there is evil, but it is overall less intense than book 1. Yet even this book has it's moment's of total craziness & it get's pretty tense. I mean...let's be real...this is a military book, and the violence is naturally going to be higher than in other books. It comes with the territory.

The plot took a bit to get going (I know, the opening scene was all guns blazing & our MC got knocked out, but I'm talking overall plot)
As I mentioned in my review of Raptor 6, because there is a lot of military lingo & computer hacking tech-talk, it takes focused brain power to comprehend what's going on and get through this book. It isn't an 'easy' read, or mindless AT ALL. You have to be functioning on all your mental burners in order to keep up with this plot, otherwise you won't have a clue what's going on.
If I was tired and read sections of this book...I was LOST.
This novel requires absolute attention & concentration, because it is a plot powerhouse. I don't know how Ronie does it, but she keeps creating mind-blowing content where her plots are concerned. #authorrespect
The attention paid to detail makes you feel as though you're watching a movie, rather than reading a book. Ronie's writing has a definite cinematic vibe to it- and without fail you are thrown into the story as if you were witnessing it unfold in person. Not many writer's can do this well as she can.

The romance was not the main plot- it was an undercurrent that popped up here and there. A few passionate kisses that were interrupted...falling in love attraction and the like, but it wasn't a 'romance' novel.

As far as the character's went...I enjoyed Brian's frank and open personality. It was refreshing, until his going banana's all the time left me like...'whet?' although certainly believable. I have met many a dude with un-hinged anger issues. Closer to the end I enjoyed his character more.
Fekiria wasn't my favourite...it was simply a personality clash, but she was well written & came off the page. She just wasn't my personal fave, but that is no fault of the author's.

The setting of Hawk, being that it was in the middle of winter (with blizzards aplenty) kinda just set me off the wrong way.
Again, just a personal preference, but somehow I couldn't 'get into' the story, given the overload of snow- now I live in the Great White North, so snow is no stranger in my world, but for some reason, I've never been a fan of books or movies set in the dead of winter. They seem depressing & bleak, and aren't my cup of tea. Anyone else feel this way?

CONCLUSION:

Amazing book- not quite my cup of tea, and simply due to personal preference. If you enjoy books set in the winter, & brainy techy type plots where you have to concentrate hard & be in for the long haul, this may be right up your alley.

For how good, well written & thought out the book is, I'd give it 5 stars. For how much I personally enjoyed it, I'd say about 2-3 stars.

Book 3 (review coming soon) is my favourite in the series...so I can't wait to share it with you peeps.






No comments:

Post a Comment