Tuesday 20 October 2015

The Messenger by Siri Mitchell (Review by Ashley Nikole)

An engaging read about the revolutionary war, spies (one of them being a Quaker) & a jail break, all set in 1778 Philadelphia during the British occupation.

Loved this book- the ending however, left a lot to be desired (in my opinion). 

I enjoyed the plot, the romance (despite it being almost non-existent, and more of a friendship because Hannah was quite conservative, and a Quaker. Jeremiah wasn't, so a romance between them was...unheard of and nearly impossible) the American History, and the character development. It was intriguing and paced pretty well. It wasn't fast paced, but it definitely didn't lag. 

I found the Quaker-speak (Old English) with the overuse of 'thee' and 'thou' and etc. was a bit stifling and made the Quakers hard to relate with, because they felt quite...robotic almost, in their use of the old language. But, eventually I found it wasn't that bad, and almost saw it as quant that Hannah spoke with a superfluous amount of 'thee' and 'thou'. 

The ending, (******SPOILERS*****)
(imagine with me) felt akin to breathing in, and finding the room void of oxygen. It was just coming up into a glorious territory of a seriously good ending, and then- nothing. Just ended in a kinda strange fashion. So, while I truly enjoyed every page of this book, the ending was a big let down for me. I'm a serious advocate for strong endings, and this ending, it just felt- incomplete and off. 

The writing was beautiful, the plot well thought out and compelling, & you really felt like you were there, not just reading about a story. Other than the ending, it was a great book and I would definitely recommend it.

4 stars overall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment